Sunday 1 December 2013

ROAR OF THE RINGS

Today was the first draw of The Roar of the Rings, which is the Olympic drawing of one male and one female curling team from Canada to represent us in the Olympics. We start out from 16 teams (8 male and 8 female) and over the course of a week they play games until the final two teams are chosen to go to the Olympics, and this year it's being held in Winnipeg! Will Farrell, aka Ron Burgundy, was also chosen to be the host for today's Draw. My parents got tickets for the entire week, but they were lucky enough to get two extra tickets for me and my brother to come along for today. It was so amazing! All of the best teams from across Canada were there, and I got to see them play. It's the best curling you will ever see. Here are some pictures from the event.


This is the rinks they made. The ice looked so amazing! (I know, that's such a geeky thing to say, but it's true)


All 16 teams introduced during the opening ceremony.


Let the games begin!


Team Stoughton! They represent Winnipeg for the male side, and they're such a good team. The skip, Stoughton, is also known for his signature move, the Spin-o-rama. Unfortunately I did not get to see them play before we left.


Team Jones! Representing Winnipeg for the women's side, they're also one of the best teams in the league, and have been to large curling tournaments many times. I really hope they win and represent Canada at the Olympics. They beat Chelsea Carey this afternoon 9-2. It was a very good game.


And last but not least, the famous Ron Burgundy. I never got to see him up close and personal though. He was either behind curtains or in the commentators box on the other side of the arena. I didn't get to hear him talk either, because you could only hear him on TV. Good thing my parents recorded it on the PVR as well so all is not lost!



No comments:

Post a Comment